Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Blog By Any Other Name...

Would not be mine! LOL!

Seriously though, I know what most of you are likely thinking, "Purposeful Abnegation, what is with that name!" and the rest are thinking "Ooo, I bet she has read Divergent." The second group is correct! :~)

Ahem, however the name is inspired not by the book, but by The Book. As I was reading the definition and manifesto in the back of the book I was struck by the strong resemblance to what Christ has called us to do. That is to "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:37-40.

The definition of Abnegation is:
1. to refuse or deny oneself (some rights, conveniences, ect.); reject; renounce.
2. to relinquish; give up.

In my opinion #1 is what God calls us to do to in Luke 9:23-24 "Then he said to them all: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.'" We know that we are not called to lose our lives willy-nilly, we must be following Him, thus we must be, oh I don't know... Purposeful about it. :~)

However, the way #2 describes the word implies that it is not voluntary and that one is forced to do so. We cannot strong arm people into heaven, regardless how "good" our intentions... So this blog will be focused on my personal Abnegation, no guilt if your path is different, through definition #1 and we will leave the legalistic #2 right here.

The Abnegation Manifesto:

"I will be my undoing
If I become my obsession.

"I will forget the ones I love
If I do not serve them.

"I will war with others
If I refuse to see them.

"Therefore I choose to turn away from my reflection,
To rely not on myself
But on my brothers and sisters,
To project always outward
Until I disappear
And only God remains*."

While some of the practices of the faction I feel leads towards legalism if put in the wrong hands, I just love their manifesto!

I hope my Orthodoxy journey of Purposeful Abnegation helps you on your journey.

*Those who have also read the book know that "And only God remains." is not compulsory and is the discretion of each member, this one just happens to leave it in.  :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment